Back to Recipes
Classic beef lasagne
- 15 fresh lasagne sheets
- 90gm Perfect Italiano Shredded Mozzarella
Basic Bolognese Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg beef mince
- 110gm tomato paste
- 185ml red wine
- 400gm diced tomatoes
- 700gm tomato passata
- 1lt Anchor Blue UHT Milk
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 8 fresh parsley stalks
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 60gm Western Star Salted Butter
- 50gm plain flour
- 100gm Perfect Italiano Grated Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook, until onion softens. Add mince and cook until browned.
- Add the tomato paste and red wine to mince mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until wine reduces slightly.
- Add the diced tomato and passata and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Combine the Anchor Logo Blue UHT Milk, onion, parsley stalks, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain the milk mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug. Discard solids.
- Melt the Western Star Salted Butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture begins to come away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat and add Perfect Italiano Grated Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan-forced. Brush a rectangular 3 ltr ovenproof dish with oil to lightly grease.
- Spread ¼ of the bechamel sauce over the base of the dish. Arrange lasagne sheet over the sauce. Top with ⅓ of the bolognese and ⅓ of the remaining bechamel. Continue layering with the remaining lasagne sheets, Bolognese and bechamel, finishing with a layer of bechamel. Sprinkle with Perfect Italiano Shredded Mozzarella.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, stand for 15 minutes to set.
- Cut the lasagne into 8 portions and serve with mixed salad leaves.