Back to Recipes
Asparagus and cherry tomato tart
- 2 sheets frozen short crust pastry, thawed
- 4 rashes short cut rindless bacon, diced
- 1 cup frozen Birds Eye Field Fresh Chopped Onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup grated tasty cheese
- 425gm can Edgell Asparagus Green Spears, drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
A yummy festive tart that is great served hot or cold.
- Line a greased 36cm x 12cm rectangle tart pan with pastry sheets, overlapping the pastry seam. Trim pastry, prick base with a fork and blind bake (see tip) in a preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick frypan, cook bacon, frozen Birds Eye Field Fresh Chopped Onions and garlic for 3–4 minutes and set aside.
- Remove pastry from oven and discard baking paper and loading rice. Place cooked onion mixture on the base of the pastry and top with cheese. Arrange Edgell Asparagus Green Spears and cherry tomatoes in rows along the tart (trim 2cm off the base of each asparagus spear to fit into pastry case if necessary).
- Pour over combined cream and eggs. Season tart to taste and return to oven for a further 25 minutes or until egg has set.
Tip: To blind bake, simply cover pastry base and sides of the pastry with baking paper and top with dry uncooked rice. This will prevent the base of the pastry from rising.